Students Wanted

October 6, 2008 by Brian · 3 Comments · Conferences, NYSCATE, students

11/12/2008 Update: We’ve decided to take a more grassroots approach and slowly grow interest in a student conference.

I’ve debated whether to put this out here in the great wide open because it’s really an experiment in the making.  New at NYSCATE is a student symposium where students will attend (hopefully), share (double hopefully) and learn (triple hopefully) with each other. Additionally, they’ll be trying to give back in some way, shape or form.

Reading Stories Wanted at The Stellar Cafe today convinced me that I was not doing what I want of the students who attend this event.  I wasn’t sharing, being transparent or seeking advice/help.

The experience begins by accepting the challenge, sometimes bravely, and making it real.

Right now, we’ve got students working to promote and poised to plan the event.  The goal is to include them in as many facets of the planning and implementation as possible.  There are students working on graphics for the event, writing, editing and recording radio spots for WBER 90.5 (listen now), directing and producing videos for distribution through YouTube and morning shows. We’ve even got Facebook and MySpace groups started to help promote the event. NOTE: we’re encouraging students to join these groups and educators, unless they are directly working with the event. As you can see, we’re pretty good in the promotion/marketing department, but what we don’t have is a set line-up of students to lead discussions and topics for sessions.

I believe I have one of the greatest jobs in education, however, the downside is that I don’t have direct contact with students everyday, so I need to rely on others… this is where you come in.

So in making it real, this is an all call for students and topics that they’d like to learn about, share about and lead about.  Ask your students what they are doing with technology that you might not be aware about (obviously I’m talking about the constructive stuff here) and learn something from them. Then, if you would, share it back here.

A small team of students will be planning out how this event will pan out on November 23rd at the annual NYSCATE Conference.  They’ll appreciate the help, and so will I.

Tags:

3 Comments so far ↓

• Gianni Bussani

This sounds like a great idea. How can I get mys tudents involved in some way? At Fairport through our contact with RIT we are planning a “Student Conference” at RIT sometime nexr Spring. It will include students in grades 6-12. The goal is for students to become interested in a computer related field. Here is where the parallel comes in between these two ideas. great Job and keep it up! Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Gianni Bussani
    FHS Technology teacher

• briancsmith

Gianni, thanks for your comment. I should have updated this site earlier as the Student Symposium is not happening this year. We’ve decided to take a more grassroots approach and slowly grow some interest in such an event. We have a group on Facebook titled “Digital Destinations” which you man want to send your students to explore and connect with others.

• dissertation titles

This is a useful information and to interest kids to school.